Friday, June 5, 2009

Perfect Pancake Lesson

I always cook pancake for my kids ever since they started to eat solid foods. I am only buying ready to cook pancake but I can't still cook it perfectly (poor me). Sometimes it's not formed well, sometimes it is burned. I am still figuring it out one at a time why I always have these mistakes. I know I am not a good cook that's why I am practicing, though we all know making pancake is as easy as cooking an egg right? (Actually I had a hard time cooking an egg too hehehehe). Do you know that even if I can't make a perfect pancake, I am still teaching my three year old daughter Ishi how to cook one? Yes I do..... let me share you the complete lessons she got from making pancakes....
Whenever I am doing something, I wanted my daughter to be part of it. So when I am cooking pancake (since it was easy to do), I am inviting her to the kitchen and be part of the lessons - cooking, math, science, english and art. Here's what we do:
Ishi is going to mix the pancake powder with the water, she loves to stir it. I told her to say the word "stir, stir, stir" while she does it. And then she learned the word "STIR". After she has finally mixed it well, I'll ask her to watch me putting some butter or margarine in the pan then watch it transform from solid margarine to liquid margarine. Same with the pancake itself, before you cook it, it was liquid, and when it already cooked it'll became solid...then she began to learn about SOLID and LIQUID. When pancake is ready, Ishi loves to put strawberry syrup on top. ART time... she'll draw something she has in mind that time using the strawberry syrup on her pancake. After that, time to slice up the pancake into one half, then one fourth, one eight up to one sixteenth. She loves to do that, and then she learned some MATH.
I just realized a while ago (while we we're cooking pancake again), that I am always making a perfect pancake lesson. I may not teach her the good texture of a pancake, but I am proud to know she learned such things from me while cooking pancake. I should be proud right?

4 comments:

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

he he he,ako din,pareho tayo, hindi ko rin ma perfect ang pancake, buti na lang si husband magaling. :)

sweetytots said...

haha.. kaya mo yan konting practice pa.. the trick is dont put too much and remeber to cover the pan, tapos, just as you see bubbles popping up the top of your pancake you are ready to flip. Mukang hilaw pa ung ibabaw, pero time to flip na talaga.. pagka flip mo just count to 10 then your pancake is done. Saktong luto lang and both side.. Hope this helps!

Chris said...

you are definitely correct. it doesnt matter if you cant make perfect pancakes... in the eyes of your kids, you cook the best pancakes in the world!

Yami said...

I love pancakes! Galing Mami Jes. You were able to apply the basic lessons in science, art, etc in teaching your kid to mix/cook delicious pancake. Way to go, Mom! :-)